Monday, June 18, 2012

The Cynthia Alexander Send Off Series, Conspiracy, 16 June 2012


In hindsight

I went to this gig expecting a more intimate set compared to the one in 19 East. When we got to Conspiracy at about 10pm, the place was already jampacked.  We tried to “swim” our way inside the music room and because I was with two tall big guys (they’ll kill me if ever they find out I called them big) we managed to squeeze in and ended up right outside the comfort rooms.  Since I’m in the “small lady” department I really couldn’t see what was happening on stage.  Aside from the backs of the people in front of me, the doors of the comfort rooms, the ceiling, this light was the only other thing I can see.


After a couple of minutes of trying to squeeze here and there to give way to the people going inside the comfort rooms, I gave up and just decided to meet one of our friends outside.  While I was talking with said friend of ours, I saw my boyfriend waving at us and motioning us to follow him.  Lo and behold, they were able to get chairs in a little corner outside the main entrance and beside the window of the stage.  Sweet spot!  I almost jumped and cart wheeled for joy.  After a few minutes, the window was opened so that the people outside the music room can hear and see what was happening inside.  Hallelujah!  And us outside, even though we all knew Cynthia’s back would be most of the time what we will be seeing, couldn’t ask for more.  I bet all of us felt the same way:  that just to be able to see and hear Cynthia Alexander is the greatest gift the universe can give us at that precise moment. At around 11:45pm, the show began.  Once again, I was enthralled.  Cynthia’s music never fails to grab a hold of me and render me spellbound. 

The Musical Celebration, Conspiracy, 16 June 2012
Set List:

Walk down the road

Wait

U & I

Motorbykle

The Weather Report

Daisy Chain

Knowing There Is Only Now

Insomnia

Hello Baby

Blackbird

Dumaan Ako – Joey Ayala joined Cynthia for this song.  He actually just climbed over the window since it’s easier and more convenient.  Such a tender beautiful moment.  Cynthia actually teared up right after their duet.  A quick background about the song, this is originally a poem, “Berso # 2” written by Maningning Miclat, set to music by Joey Ayala.

Intertwyne – a dance accompanied this song.  The poetry of the lyrics combined with the fluidity and grace of the “dancer” resulted in a moment both raw and surreal.  I felt a tightness in the throat and a leaping of the heart when the song ended.  (I think the “dancer” was Nerissa Del Carmen Guevara, herself a poet.)

No Umbrella

Malaya – I just love how Cynthia’s voice always soars when she sings this song.  Combine this with the music accompaniment of Mlou Matute, Cj Wasu and Jonathan Zuniga Urbano, the experience is always stellar.

Owner of the Sky

Comfort In Your Strangeness

Kabaka

Empty-handed – Kabaka was supposed to be Cynthia’s last song, but Vin Dancel of Peryodiko and Twisted Halo requested for this song.  Others followed suit.  He ended up singing the first part, and Jonathan Zuniga Urbano the second part.  Of course, Cynthia finished the song. 

And just like that, another night of Cynthia Alexander’s awe-inspiring wondrous music was over.  And just like any other of her shows, one is always left with a lushness of spirit and a spring of joy in the heart.  Once again, thank you Cynthia.  The extraordinary light you bring will never go out.  


Kaya kong maghintay sa mga tula mo
makinig sa awit mula sa kabilang dako
At sa paglalakad sa lilim ng mga puno
matutuklasan ang laman ng pusong malayo

(Berso #2 / Dumaan Ako, Maningning Miclat)


Click this link to read about The Cynthia Alexander Send Off Series at 19 East

Here are some of the pictures I took.  (I will upload the videos soon)





I know you can't see his face, but this is Coy Placido of Top Junk and husband of Tuesday Vargas


Tuesday Vargas, actress/vocalist of Top Junk and wife of Coy Placido, enjoying the gig from the side of the stage.  She actually also just climbed up the window (like Joey Ayala) to get to her place here.
We were also treated to Joey Ayala's humor.  












Vin Dancel singing the first part of Empty-handed
Tuesday Vargas "modeling" the plate number of a car that needs to be moved.  Every time she would do this, Cynthia Alexander would introduce her as "Anne Curtis".  Some of the light-hearted moments of the gig.
Cynthia getting ready to sign CDs and have a picture taking with her loyal fans.
Cynthia Alexander with Vin Dancel and friends
My friends and I with TuesdayVargas

A tender brother-sister moment
My friends and I with Cynthia Alexander and Joey Ayala


No comments: